Wednesday 6 June 2007

Philly II, DC I

Things took off a little since the last entry, although not in such a blog-friendly way; I know you crave exciting stories etc, but I'm just not adventuring that hard. Yet at least.. So this is just some stuff that happened.


Mike (see above), who I thought was in a band, wasn't. He, though - and bear in mind he was literally the first person I'd make conversation with in the country - was from sheffield. Shit. The world has been reduced to the size of a ping-pong ball.


After a day of what could essentially be called shopping in philadelphia (i bought a guitar, and books, and a CD by a band I read about that morning in a Philadelphia Music Magazine. They are called World Blanket. Look them up and tell me what they're like - I don't have a CD player to listen to it) and resting in pretty parks, and successfully having a good time while bypassing tourist spots, I returned to the bank street hostel, which felt like home already.


Mike and his companion were replaced by Joe and Hanna and Jen who were from edinburgh (and whose cumulative favourite musicians are Radiohead and Tracy Chapman - the two reasons I've been to edinbrough, their city. Ping-pong ball). They were excellent and me and Joe sat up late teaching each other guitar parts. I swapped Blackbird for Let Down.
He went to bed and I became entangled talking earnestly with Sam about TS Eliot, elitism, satire, the comparisons of music and poetic devices and aesthetics, and esepcially radiohead. Everybody loves radiohead. It was perfectly wonderful.


The next day's 2 and a half hour journey to DC took 5 hours, after the Greyhound bus got lost amid a hail of redirections due to some accident or other. Anyway, it gave me a chance to get re-aquainted with my Mp3 player. So Hilltop Hostel where I am now is beautiful, and the weather is hot, and booked up tonight but I will sleep on the couch, for $5 more cheaply. Don't tell anyone, it's not allowed.


Cheers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is sneaky. Oh it sounds like so much fun! I wish I was there. Although, I do not love Radiohead.

teri said...

Jude says is there a chain of radiohead tribute hostels or something? Sounds like you are in your element. You will still come home at the end of this trip won't you?!
T xx

Anonymous said...

hi teri!

this is fun.

Rosie said...

Radiohead tribute hostels? :o I heart Radihead. I don't think its ok to say that you 'heart' them.