Wednesday 27 June 2007

Florida City II, New Orleans I

And relax I did, well and truly. The people were excellent, especially Sweet River Revolver, who I later accompanied back to Miami to get my bus out. Got on the bus (on time! On Time! ON TIME!) and set off amidst a hail (have I used that quirky statement yet?) of worrying text messages: Teri told me Sheffield was flooded and they had no electricity and furthermore her phone was just running out of battery so I wouldn't be able to find more; and Rowan saying "I've just got out of hospital but don't worry and I'm not telling you why". I finally wrung an explanation out of her (also available at rowanwithafiddle.blogspot.com).

ANYHOW after a truly long bus Journey (27 hours hostel to hostel) I got to New Orleans which is very cool although I'm only just about to go and explore properly because I was looking up Sheffield and Rowan on the net first after changing hostels because the first one was horrrrrible although there was a nice guy who was trying to rebuild NewOrleans (it's funny having a city with the initials 'NO' - makes acronyms funny - NO police force, NO-Bank etc) but could only find companies making profit by building houses in the front yards of people's destroyed property. 120,000 people are still displaced after Katrina, by the way, but all the big companies etc are shining fine already.

Was that all boring? I can't tell - I think sleeplessness still affecting me. Pretty sparse of details, maybe I'll put another entry about the same time with more actual stuff on.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Mooth!

When are we gonna be able to have a little chat about these wild accusations you are making about me being an irresponsible text messager?

Rowan
xxx

Anonymous said...

They keep turning our bastarding power off, Joey. Do you know that I had to wait TWO AND A HALF HOURS for it to come back on so I could have a cinnamon bagel? Bah.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rosie said...

Gosh Helena, it sounds like you're really suffering... ;)

PS - Joey, nice pic of SWFC on my blog for you to ponder x

Joey said...

I saw poor drowned hillsborough, it looks incredibly cool and excited. I am green with envy I missed it for non-flooded new orleans. Tsk.

Cinammon Bagels, euch. Bagels are crap, they're just bread! Rip-off!

Yeah, when are we going to have a chat eh rowan? when?

Anonymous said...

Whenever you like!
Whenever you can tell me a number to ring!

But not tonight.
:)
xxx

teri said...

Sheffield can't do without you, Joey, just read in the paper that Fopp has gone bust...
T xxx

Joey said...

Not Fopp! Oh God! Thank god i'm moving to manchester...