Tuesday 12 June 2007

Asheville II

So, yesterday was pretty lively. I followed up on the Hiking promise I made, so started by looking in a book of good local walks. In true American style, every walk required a car to drive to the start point. I determined to show the yanks that things could be done on foot, so found a walk which was only 10 minutes drive away, packed provisions and set off.

I pretty quickly discovered the 10 minutes drive was along a highway - 10 minutes at 60mph is 10 miles. Plus 2 miles after the highway - I reckon the 3 hours it took me to walk there covered about the 10 miles. If that seems pretty slow remember I was walking alongside a highway - so no paths really, just grass mainly. However I had the glorious hills ahead to inspire me and funny friendly people (a thin woman borrowed my phone and in thanks her little daughter gave me a stone, warpped in a leaf). I stopped for a waffle, and emerged into a little rainstorm, complete with thunder and all, but which passed pretty quickly.

I arrived, rambled through pretty forest - incredibly peaceful, I think for the first time since I got into the US - for two hours, then came back. I enjoyed it, even the walk home - there's something incredibly satisfying about trudging along and along, if you know what I mean. I got back at 9ish, and went out back for a quiet read and a feet resting before an early night.

But this is Asheville, and I quickly got talking to some white water canoers fresh from a near death experience, and a crazy brilliant woman - marianne - aged 60 from virginia - who lived on a commune, and has been to laurieston. What're the chances? Ping-pong ball. So the conversation moved quickly, I gathered some communes to visit/contribute to while I'm here, and at some point a beer appeared.

That lone beer was followed by another; and then scotch; a campfire; and at some point a request for 'house of the rising sun'; got my guitar; and a couple more people; then another guitar. People, alocohol, and instruments trickled in. I came inside for a minute (samwij), and when I went back outside, there was not only a dozen or so people, but three guitars, a banjo and a double bass. DOUBLE-BASS. So naturally we had a crazy-party soundtracked by an entire band - the highlight musically being Wagon-Wheel and Hallelujah - a version I'd never heard played before in 4/4.


Today is recovery.

7 comments:

teri said...

Hey Mr Music Man, music just happens where-ever you are, sounds brilliant.
T xx

Anonymous said...

You sure that band wasn't Buncombe Turnpike?

My mum says all roads lead to Asheville. Strange..

I hope I speak to you soon.

Any of these hostels got Skype?

Rebekah Johnston-Smith said...

sounds like a scream. as my ma says 'look after your liver!' xxx

Rosie said...

You should read A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson, I feel.

Lina said...

xou'll always meet people that have been to laurieston, it's such a great place after all ....
linaxxx

Anonymous said...

Oh, Moey!

Joey said...

I've read a walk in the woods, it wasn't the turnpike, there may be skype here. My liver is fine, and laurieston is cool.