Sunday 3 June 2007

Philadelphia I

I made it across the atlantic ocean. It was easy, actually. I was lodged in 'cabin one' - labelled 'Owner'. So that gives an idea of the luxury I enjoyed (if you happen to know the exact amount of luxury a freightship owner receives - I do. Pfftthh). It was actually suprisingly imaginable. I read a vast amount, made friends with the one other passenger (Herman the German), enjoyed the crate of german beer I bought in the 'slapjus' (or something - a nautical word for buying things that are in the bottom of the boat), associated with lots of phillipino, romanian, liberian and polish crewmembers, including a good few rounds of table tennis, and film-watching, and I kept a journal, which, upon looking back over for interesting excepts for this entry, is staggeringly dull, and that was that. It was just as I wanted it to be.

I learned: There is NO better atmosphere for the second half of Blood On The Tracks than a dark and rolling evening and a few bottles of kostritzer; the distance between liverpool and chester, philadelphia is roughly 3000 miles, and a freighter crosses it at about 17 miles an hour; the whales promised by the crew are not that common; and, courtesy of Naomi Wolf, how The Beauty Myth is used to control the populace. You should find that out, too.

I made NO spiritual discoveries.

Philidephia has so far endeavored to make me feel at home by being grey and raining hysterically. I found a place to stay, from which I write - The Bank Street Hostel. It is really a wonderful place of friendly interesting people (I reckon the Mike I met is in a band!), and they showed 'Amelie', which is a nice film. Very nice.

Bert Jancsh is playing in Philadelpia tomorrow. I have seen no cream cheese.

SO okay there isn't anything fasctinating or useful in this entry, but maybe you can colour it in with the adventures that I may or may not have had: I cannot promise anything. Following articles will deliver more satisfaction.

5 comments:

Rosie said...

Hey Joey! Glad to see you're getting on well...Naomi Wolf eh...Third Wave Liberal Feminism...

Try Judith Butler :) You'd like.

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures, interesting to know how you found your boat passage? And was it a concious 'carbon neutral' decision? xx

Anonymous said...

So nice to read. And it was great to hear you last night for fleeting seconds. Can't wait for the next installment. I literally cannot.

Rebekah Johnston-Smith said...

ooh shame about the weather...its gorgeous here :P
Enjjoy all philli has to offer!
xxx

Anonymous said...

Joeeeeeeey. Glad to hear you've arrived safely. I saw your mum yesterday on Springvale road as I was walking down to Heg's, and she asked if it was me who left the comment about missing the cat, because nobody else likes it.

Me and Nadia spend the days sitting in her room drinking tea and complaining about the fact that we can't come down to yours any more. You suck, Joey. Yes you do.

Miss youuuu xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Where are you now, goddamit?