Tuesday 7 August 2007

Victoria II

I walked to my hostel. It seemed nice, and had a bar, where I had my first legal drink for two months. Then I walked down to a 'electronic music' festival some guy on the street had told me about, which turned about to be packed and lively with a pretty-good DJ on. I couldn't hang around too long, though, because I had somewhere else to be, namely a gig called 'Rock Lottery' at Logan's Pub.

So I went there, to see the 'Rock Lottery' which was 21 musicians grouped into random bands and given 8 hours to write and rehearse four songs, and then perform them, which was what I was going to see. I got there early enough to not have to pay, which meant that I could buy a couple more beers, and me and my new friends Stirling (is this a name?) and Chris, who I met at the place, as well as three other girls and two boys, the names of whom I forget, and anyway we bought pitchers of beer and were merry, especially since the bands were really good especially the band with this girl (myspace.com/heartofadog). This place evidently has a music scene of real musicians, and the idea of sheffield's excuse-for-a-scene made me cough.

So rolled in late that night (music went on until two! Sheffield?) and next day decided to spend all day with a nice new book and a big park. I had a very happy time wandering and reading and followed my ears to a stage where one of those bands that dress in red-and-white pinstripe waistcoats and play honkytonk piano and banjo and brass, and playing 'scotland the brave' and Louis Armstrong 'wonderful world' song, and I really enjoyed it despite being the only person there younger than 90.

Next I found a bench to sit at and eventually had my attention directed, by a string of people with fancy camaras, to a 'great blue' heron perching happily and majestically on a little tree about five feet away. I felt honoured, especially since the Hordes of Canadian (where am I?) Geese were very disrespectful, pecking at my socks and honking.

Then I unexpectedly came across a cute pebbly little beach and seafront to walk along as the sun lowered, before coming across a little cafe for tea and ice-cream. Then back to the hostel, or so I thought. Firstly I came across a christian rock band with a guy singing 'jesus, isn't he beautiful' leading me at first to think they were a gay pride type band but the people standing around with their arms raised to heaven explained otherwise.

Victoria wasn't done, though, and further on the way back I stumbled across a fortythousand strong crowd gathered for the annual 'symphony splash' with an orchestra playing from a barge in the bay in front of the beautifully lit-up and aforementioned government buildings. Then absurdly talented young soloists including a 16 year opera singer in a turquoise dress which blew in the wind and made her look like the statue of liberty. Then fireworks! Whoosh!

I got talking to a woman who turned out to be married to the trombonist in the band I'd seen earlier. Wierd and small (pingpong ball) world. Speaking of which I also met somebody I'd met in memphis at the hostel. The woman that liked films. So anyway I went home after the fireworks and the woman married to the trombonist, and spent a nice evening at the bar with Man and Wife (...) from England and He played me a song he'd written 'about the missus' which was actualyl very good. He was really nice.

Anyway next day I suddenly somehow found a bed in vancouver and so set off there on a bus then ferry then bus then bus route which was half the price of the expensive just coach route and so felt justified in the inordinate amount of money i'd spent on beer over the last few days. And so I arrived in Vancouver...

No comments: